Sunday, July 4, 2010

Internship Week 8

Week 8 was awesome! I worked with a PT who just graduated from the U right before I started. It's really nice to work with someone who didn't graduate from PT school 15 years ago! He was efficient, he let me do a lot, and he was great with the patients. I had a lot of fun working with him, and that made the week absolutely fly by! It went so fast. I loved it! I could use two more like that!

This week I actually have a cool patient to talk about, too, instead of one to complain about! This kid had an accident at work 3 years ago where a huge metal pipe crushed his lower leg. They wanted to amputate it then, but he told them no (which is probably what I'd want to do, too. Can you imagine waking up one day with a foot and then going to sleep that night without one??). So they did a bunch of surgeries and did what they could to save it, but over the years it just wasn't working out, so this time he was in the hospital because they amputated his leg from about his mid-shin down. He was only 23 years old. He told us he was supposed to get married 12 days after the accident, but because of everything that happened and all the complications, they had to put off their wedding for another 2 years. So this guy had probably the worst reason for being in the hospital I've seen yet, and the most to complain about, but I've never seen a patient with a better attitude than his. He was so upbeat, and so excited to get a prosthesis and start getting back to a normal life. He told us that once he got his prosthesis he'd be able to beat us in a race. He told us how tough everything was at first, but how with the support of his friends and family he learned that he could do anything. He was asking me all about PT school because now he wants to become a physical therapist and specialize in prosthetics so he can help other people like him. He was just a really cool guy with an incredible attitude. Hopefully I'll always remember that.

Other than that, the highlight of the week was just working with a good PT who made the work fun and made the week fly by. I'm getting so close to the end now! I can't wait to be finished!

Eight weeks down, only two more to go!

No comments: